riobison

Well Known Member
Gents,

Looking at installing some rivnuts in the baggage area and I was wondering if anyone would know the thickness of the floor skin?

Thank

Tim

I think it's 0.032". I did the rivnut thing as well for some of those spring latch baggage tie-down gizmos.

.025 2024- T3 alcad

+1 Right from the Parts Index Sheets. Not very thick for retaining baggage with a couple of rivnuts. Did you mean nutplates? Consider attaching to the underside of the baggage floor rib flanges.

Thin

The baggage floor is thin. I cut 2 pieces of 1/4" plywood to cover the floor and provide a little more support when I was building.

Baggage tie downs

Assuming you're thinking about a nut for a tie down, I'm planning to put the nutplates on sections of 3/4X3/4 aluminum angle or maybe J-Channel nested and riveted under the floor rib. There's a lot of tension on tie downs. I want them secure. Plan is to install four in the corners.

I basically did what Larry ^^^ is suggesting, I put some 3/4" angles as reinforcement on the top baggage rib flanges out in the four corners & fitted #10 nutplates. I used the two-piece tie downs Vans have in their shop, so the base is permanent on the floor and I can put in the spring-retained rings as/when needed. I might even have a photo I can share somewhere.....

Need the specs for the grip range on the rivnuts.

I didn't build it so I dont have the specs. I see that Vans will sell the plans on a USB stick so that is on my to Buy List.

Building a bracket to mount my O2 bottle to. I agree that I will need to attach it to the aluminium angle or j stringers to have any holding strength at all.

Thanks

Tim