zcv7853

Am looking into purchasing a -9 at a good price and curious about possible resale value.

Anyone know how much the average 6-pack equipped o320 RV9 goes for? Nothing fancy just basic good flying aircraft. Kit price is now 45k without an engine.

Not sure if I want to keep it, trade it, or sell it. 🤷

Am looking into purchasing a -9 at a good price and curious about possible resale value.

Anyone know how much the average 6-pack equipped o320 RV9 goes for? Nothing fancy just basic good flying aircraft. Kit price is now 45k without an engine.

The next buyer will be looking for a good price also....

Current kit prices are missing more than the engine...... way more $$$$$$$$$$$$

I’ll take a stab at it. A “bare bones” -9A — fixed pitch prop, mid-time carbureted O-320, flown regularly and recently, steam gauges, no IFR GPS navigator, no autopilot, decent paint — maybe $75K. I have no idea whether the somewhat unicorn-like taildragger -9 would go for more or less. This is not an offer to purchase one you might be flipping. 🤣

Yes, are you trying to 'flip' this plane? First you say you are looking to buy, post a kit pricing and then say you don't know if you want to keep it, trade it, or sell it. What is the end game? Are you looking at one to buy or sell?

Yes, are you trying to 'flip' this plane? First you say you are looking to buy, post a kit pricing and then say you don't know if you want to keep it, trade it, or sell it. What is the end game? Are you looking at one to buy or sell?
I'm guessing the OP is wanting something to build time in as economically as possible then unsure what to do with it when the goal is achieved.

Note to OP: If I am correct in my assessment then perhaps a -12 is a better idea. A -12is burns about 4 gph of mogas and a -12 closer to 5 gph of MOGAS. MOGAS! So your cost of building time is much less.

I’ll take a stab at it. A “bare bones” -9A — fixed pitch prop, mid-time carbureted O-320, flown regularly and recently, steam gauges, no IFR GPS navigator, no autopilot, decent paint — maybe $75K. I have no idea whether the somewhat unicorn-like taildragger -9 would go for more or less. This is not an offer to purchase one you might be flipping. 🤣
Which is about what it would cost to build it if you did all the work, including painting, yourself.

2016 9A with a mid-time 150hp o-320. Fixed pitch, glass, autopilot, ifr. It’s insured valued is $100k, for what that data point is worth.

I'm guessing the OP is wanting something to build time in as economically as possible then unsure what to do with it when the goal is achieved.

Note to OP: If I am correct in my assessment then perhaps a -12 is a better idea. A -12is burns about 4 gph of mogas and a -12 closer to 5 gph of MOGAS. MOGAS! So your cost of building time is much less.
An old fabric taildragger, basic VFR and a few steam gauges is a better idea for that mission imho. Under $25k, cheeeeeep to run, and good skills builder.

Appreciate the input everyone.

Aircraft I’m considering is partially disassembled and hasn’t flown in 2 years. Asking 65k. 100 hours smoh o320. Obviously will try to negotiate.

I would like a good traveling aircraft but don’t want to be upside down financially and have some room for upgrades.

It seems to me that the rampant buying frenzy we saw during /after covid has pretty much stabilized. While prices aren't shooting up any more,, they haven't exactly come down to pre-covid levels either, and I don't think they ever will.

I don't think that you're going to find a flying RV9 for 65k and I'm 100% certain you couldn't build one now for that. I mean, by the time you add it tax and shipping, the cost of a slow build RV9 kit from vans is $50,000 and we all know thats just the beginning of the spend if you're building.

If replacement cost can be a guide, I'm $90k into my project and expect to spend $20-$40k more. Of the $90k, there was an extra $15ish for a QB fuse and a Ch11 finishing kit. Everything else, including the engine and propeller, was purchased before the recent burst of inflation.

To me whether $65k is worth it depends on just what is disassembled. Like removed wings sitting in a corner of the shop is far more concerning than an avionics upgrade that stalled because life-got-in-the-way.

In 2016 there was a nice, basic -9A for sale asking $70k. I would have made an offer had the house I moved out of sold a little quicker.

Which is about what it would cost to build it if you did all the work, including painting, yourself.
I don't think you could start today and build a tandem RV for less than $100k unless you already have an engine in the back of the barn.

Slow build kit $50,000
Used engine $15,000 (maybe?)
Cheap used prop. $2000
Avionics. $10,000
Paint Supplies. $3,000
Bare seat foam. $600

Heck, thats already over $80,000 and I haven't even included things like landing lights, wiring, an alternator, consumable shop supplies, on &on & on.

Agree! When I first started in this 'playing with airplanes' game nearly 40 years ago things were doable for the average guy with a lot of scrounging. Now days with the internet, it is much harder to find any kind of deal unless you happen to be at the right place a the right time, ie, money in hand and ready to pounce when something is listed for sale.

You might get lucky and find a decent mid-time engine for $10-15K. Engine prices have shot up in price considerable since covid and parts for them have doubled it seems, that is if you can even get them! I know cylinders were nearly unobtanium about a year ago. Order a new engine? Prepare for a long wait!

Find someone updating their panel and you can maybe get a complete older steam gauge panel for cheap.

Also, paint it yourself, I'm thinking closer to $5K with a quality paint/paint job. Take it to any shop and you're looking at $20K+.

The best part for last.....Most build times quoted are very optimistic!! Life gets in the way and unless you dedicated 'X'-hours a day/week to the project, it will languish at times. Life just seems to rear it's ugly head and gets in the way, especially if you have others depending on you (wife/kids).

Spend the money upfront and buy something flying to build time. As mentioned, buy an old T-craft, Chief/Champ for cheap, fly the snot out of it. Then, get whatever project you want that you can work on in the free time. It's what I did. You can keep that flying bug motivated at the times when you get frustrated with building. JMHO