KJBSouth

Well Known Member
Our 3D printer is a Wanhao Duplicator 6 purchased at a 3D printer store north of Tampa. After the magnetic oil door latch, I turned my attention to other 3D printable parts. As Experimental Aircraft Association members we have access to no-charge personal use copies of SolidWorks Design Software.

WireGuide01.JPG

The upper ignition wires for our Lycoming engine pass through aluminum sheet metal baffles and must be protected from chafing. A well known aviation supply store sells nylon plastic wire protectors for $21.95 each, and one set is needed for each side of the engine. Having time to spare before returning to Michigan I designed and printed these.

WireGuide02.JPG

WireGuide03.JPG

The two halves are identical and interlock around the ignition wires. They install on a one inch diameter hole in the rear baffle plate.

The wire guides are made with ABS plastic that has a glass transition temperature (softening point) higher than nylon.

WireGuide04.JPG

It's a few cents of plastic. Don't ask me how much the printer cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not for sure but the slick spark plug wire guides may be made of ultem material that has a glass transition temp = 217C.

Very nice

Those look great! I guess you work with that kind of software a lot, and I'm curious how long did it take you to design these or something similar?

Steve - You may be correct about the Ultem. With the ABS having a transition temp of 221F I intend to watch these guides closely. They may be OK on the outside of the baffles. If not, I'll try a glass filled printing filament next.

Mickey - No I'm just an amateur hobbyist. It did however take a number of tweaks to work the design so as to have the two identical halves nicely click together while the wire holes fit snug and the guide closely fit a 1" hole in the baffle.