What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spin Entry

HansR

Hi,

I am now testing my RV-8 for different aerobatic maneuvers, and have a problem with spin entry:

I get close to stall speed, rather high nose, and full rudder.

The feeling is a buffeting, the rv going into and out of spin rapidly, never getting into a full clean spin.

Of course moving cg backwards would probably solve the problem, but should the rv-8 not be possible to get into clean spins with only pilot aboard?

Maybe my rv-8 is a bit nose heavy with CS prop, and aerobatics works generally better with a light weight passenger. However, I want to be very familiar with the spin characteristics flying solo before with passenger. En extra weight in the back is an option. Now installing a smoke oil tank in rear baggare compartement that might solve the problem.

But still, should it not work fine to get the RV-8 into spin flying Solo? What is your experience?

BR / HansR

Replying myself....

Just thougt - maybe opposite aileron would do the trick? What's your experience?

Had the same issue testing my RV-8.
Luckily I knew a spin-Guru and he suggested to keep a little power like 10" or so on spin entry (only) and that worked very well.

My RV had it?s CG AT the front line of the envelope with me and full fuel in it when I did my first spins (since then I added a smoke system that moved the CG back which does improve acro handling...) and I can tell you the RV spins just fine in that configuration.

Are you sure your elevator movement is within specs? Preferably the upper limits of the specs?

One technique you can try is this:

1. Get into a 45degree up line
2. Wait
3. Push over below idle stall speed with full power
4. Cut power, pull elevator and push rudder

That never failed for me in any airplane that?s approved for spins that I flew.

The RV-8 also does a beautiful falling leaf so if you don?t get enough yaw in you won?t spin.

Last you are sure you are keeping the stick all the way back? Doesn?t take much to break the spin. If you have a Dynon with autopilot it actually records your stick position. So you can check after the flight what you did. I found looking at that quite useful. Trusting what you remember doesn?t quite work as well.... .

Oliver

Had the same issue testing my RV-8.
Luckily I knew a spin-Guru and he suggested to keep a little power like 10" or so on spin entry (only) and that worked very well.

I usually spin mine (to the left) with a little power, nose high, full rudder and up elevator. Solo, mine won't enter a spin very cleanly. Just too stable. Opposite aileron after spin initiation will tighten it up.

Might work up to it by adding a little ballast in the back, until you get a better feel for it.

Last edited:
My RV had it?s CG AT the front line of the envelope with me and full fuel in it when I did my first spins (since then I added a smoke system that moved the CG back which does improve acro handling...) and I can tell you the RV spins just fine in that configuration.

Are you sure your elevator movement is within specs? Preferably the upper limits of the specs?

One technique you can try is this:

1. Get into a 45degree up line
2. Wait
3. Push over below idle stall speed with full power
4. Cut power, pull elevator and push rudder

That never failed for me in any airplane that?s approved for spins that I flew.

The RV-8 also does a beautiful falling leaf so if you don?t get enough yaw in you won?t spin.

Last you are sure you are keeping the stick all the way back? Doesn?t take much to break the spin. If you have a Dynon with autopilot it actually records your stick position. So you can check after the flight what you did. I found looking at that quite useful. Trusting what you remember doesn?t quite work as well.... .

Oliver
Thx. Have not tried to enter with power. Will try.

Also, I am goint to mount smoke tank in aft luggage compartement, that might help.

I usually spin mine (to the left) with a little power, nose high, full rudder and up elevator. Solo, mine won't enter a spin very cleanly. Just too stable. Opposite aileron after spin initiation will tighten it up.

Might work up to it by adding a little ballast in the back, until you get a better feel for it.

Seems you have exact the same experience! Too stable.
Adding opposite aileron I will try next flight. Thx.

Improvements!

With some power on, and thus higher nose, I have now been able to get it spinning. It is still reluctant, but it really spins.

Adding opposite aileron increased the willingness.

However, it does not really want to spin, just neutralizing rudden will immediately stabilize it. No risk for non recoverable spin, even if you do not do the pare correctly.

BR / HR

Back