What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The PapaGolf Chronicles

Dgamble

Well Known Member
First of all, I would to thank Doug for generously posting the news of my recently published first book, The PapaGolf Chronicles.

The first few chapters of the book tell the story of my path to buying and flying an already built Van's RV-6, followed by a collection of my more memorable flights. There is a chapter about learning how to fly an airplane that has the 3rd wheel on what felt like the wrong end of the airplane, a very interesting (in my heavily biased opinion) chapter about learning to fly formation at a weekend clinic, various other trips such as flying into Oshkosh for the first and only time, and some of the more memorable trips with my young-at-the-time daughter.

I describe this book as my "first book" because there will definitely be a sequel. That one will more than likely be named Schmetterling Aviation, and it will include the building of my RV-12 and some more hopefully interesting trip reports.

Here is a link to the Amazon page: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BV7JF5M

Last edited:
Dave,

Maybe it's here and I simply can't find it, but please post instructions for how to order your book.

Jerre

I"m looking forward to reading this. Dave is one of the best writers I've ever encountered.
Thanks, Bob. That means a lot to me. The Amazon page has a Look Inside that gives you the first two chapters if you want to take a look. The paperback is print-on-demand so it takes a few days to get one. On the plus side, it allows me to make any edits. I'm reading it myself right now and I have already found a comma that should have been a period. It's over 100,000 words, so I'm sure there will be more things that I missed while proofreading. Mistakes pop out at me more in print than they do on a PC screen. I gotta tell you, it doesn't feel the same to read on Kindle - there's just something about holding a physical book in your hands that makes it feel more real.

Last edited:
This link should work: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BV7JF5M

It should take you to the Amazon page. Once there you should be able to choose either the Kindle version or the paperback version.

Thanks, Dave. I found and ordered it immediately after posting the question (should get it tomorrow). That's an incredible endorsement on Schmetterling from Richard Collins comparing you to Gordon Baxter. Did you, by chance, read a piece by Bax which appeared in Flying Magazine many years ago entitled And Now to Earth? I see the resemblance.

Jerre

Thanks, Dave. I found and ordered it immediately after posting the question (should get it tomorrow). That's an incredible endorsement on Schmetterling from Richard Collins comparing you to Gordon Baxter. Did you, by chance, read a piece by Bax which appeared in Flying Magazine many years ago entitled And Now to Earth? I see the resemblance.

Jerre
I read Bax first thing every month. I don't remember any specific articles. although I did find some very old copies of the magazine in my basement a few days ago and will be sitting down to read them soon. I always enjoyed his stories as a teenager and I would not be surprised at all if he had a lasting influence on me.

Yep, gotta have dead trees in my hand. Heck, I still get an actual newspaper in the morning.

Ordered the paperback. Looking forward to sitting in the hangar reading it instead of getting work done on the RV-12iS.

B

Thanks, Bob. That means a lot to me. The Amazon page has a Look Inside that gives you the first two chapters if you want to take a look. The paperback is print-on-demand so it takes a few days to get one. On the plus side, it allows me to make any edits. I'm reading it myself right now and I have already found a comma that should have been a period. It's over 100,000 words, so I'm sure there will be more things that I missed while proofreading. Mistakes pop out at me more in print than they do on a PC screen. I gotta tell you, it doesn't feel the same to read on Kindle - there's just something about holding a physical book in your hands that makes it feel more real.

Back