What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Manual to Electric Flap Conversion

ebackscheider

Hi all, looking to add electric flaps. I did not build though. How hard is this conversion? I will be buying the full kit with new weldment.

Thanks All!

Hi all, looking to add electric flaps. I did not build though. How hard is this conversion? I will be buying the full kit with new weldment.

Thanks All!

With the full kit, you should be able to follow the same install for a 7. Look up some 7 builders logs.

This is not a complicated task..... And you can sell your manual weldment and all manual parts here on =VAF=.

Here are the notes from my manual to electric conversion on the RV-6:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~sbuc/journal/fuse7.html#flaps

flaps-1.jpg

As far as difficulty goes, it is a straight-forward conversion for an RV builder. A non-builder, however, probably will not have the riveting tools and skills needed for the conversion.

Last edited:
I believe Van offered a retrofit kit back when the electric flaps became available. There are some people out there that would be interested in your old manual weldment and parts.
I personally prefer the manual setup which I fitted to my-7, lighter and simpler. Also allows easier access to baggage compartment in flight.

Last edited:
The same reason Sam did. My passengers are wider than the seat. It will just make life easier. Yes, the current ones work perfectly.

The best upgrade i ever did to my -6 was electric flaps. I used the the manual flap weldment and welded the supplied bracket on after cutting it off extra length per the plans. I no longer catch a pax under the chin with an elbow anymore.

Sam, just to verify, that flap bar is moved from in front of that bulkhead to behind when you did the conversion? I see it in different places in your pictures.

Back