What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Training for PPL in an RV-8A? Bad idea? Even possible?

Is it possible or even advisable to get training in an RV-8A given that there's nothing but a control stick in the back seat? How would that work? Can a CFI instruct that way? I don't have my PPL yet -- I'm about 30 flight hours in -- but I know I would have my PPL in short order after buying a plane. I want a tandem configuration, don't want a taildragger, and thus I'm keen on the RV-8A. So if I bought an RV-8A, is there any instructor who I could go up with regularly in it and take me from where I'm currently at to passing my checkride in it?

Also, separate question that I thought someone might know (and sorry for the newbie question as I haven't flown an RV yet): are there any indents in the throttle control? It strikes me that there should probably be an indent for idle and another one for max continuous power, to make it very easy to put the throttle into either state with tactile confirmation.

Furthermore, to ensure you could never screw up forgetting to go full rich before landing, is anyone aware of any RVs that have the mixture control connected to the throttle in such a way that when you push the throttle past max continuous to max T/O power, some kind of spring release automatically and instantly pushes the mixture to full rich? Seems like a simple way to ensure it's impossible to forget that step since there would be a mechanical linkage that pushes the mixture to full rich if the throttle goes past max continuous (to max T/O power), as it would in the case of a go-around.

Thanks in advance everyone!

I'll say the RV8A just isn't a very good platform for initial PPL training. There are just so many ways that doesn't make sense (to me). The C150, and many others, are quite the perfect platform for the job. Use the tool for the job. The RV8A isn't it.

Dual controls required for primary instruction.

Also, I think you might have trouble finding an examiner who'd be willing to give you a check ride in it.

IF you can find an instructor and examiner and IF you can get dual controls, I'd say go for it. No it won't be as easy as learning in a 152 and it will take longer. But when you're done you'll know how to fly a real airplane.

And think about it, back in the day people learned in planes like the Stearman 75, Ryan Recruit, the North American BT-9, Fairchild PT-19 -- not to mention cubs etc. If nothing else you'll have bragging rights.

Disclaimer -- I learned how to fly in a C-152 just like everyone else :eek:

As for your other questions: no detents, no need. Where to put the throttle for a whatever you're doing just becomes second-nature. No throttle-mixture spring thingy either, you don't always want that e.g. at high-altitude airports. Plus if you try it at sea level you'll know right away when the engine coughs and spits.

I spoke with my local examiner about checkride in my RV-8A and he said regs required full controls (so brakes & rudder, too , not just throttle/stick)

He was willing but mine didn't have rudders/brakes in the back so I did it in a Cessna.

If your buy or build one with full controls ask your examiner if he/she is willing.

good luck!

Thanks all! Appreciate the insight!

I don't have access to a 152 and haven't flown one -- it's the 172s that seem much more widespread. The problem is the 172 is about as exciting to me to fly as a school bus. I did all of my training so far on a C162 and that was mildly entertaining. But then I moved away from the school with the C162 and had to transition into a C172. I did one flight in a C172 and almost didn't want to be a pilot after that. Then I realized that one plane isn't every plane and just like cars there's a big difference between how a Prius drives and makes you feel and how a Porsche drives and makes you feel. Because I'm learning to fly for fun, it's impossible to motivate myself to step out the door to go train in a C172. I need something fun to train on and what better aircraft to train on than the one I plan to live with, are my thoughts.

It surprises me that a manufacturer like Vans doesn't run a flight school themselves right at their home airfield. "Come to Aurora and learn how to fly and get your PPL in a Vans Aircraft." Put a little hotel adjacent the airfield to house the students. That would be appealing to me. I'd go there for two weeks just to complete my PPL. Would be great. And would probably make new pilots Vans loyalists for life. That's sort of what BMW does... they have driving schools at their factory in South Carolina. I went there when I was 16 and I've been a BMW loyalist ever since. It's just a brilliant marketing strategy. BMW doesn't profit from that school. I think they break even. Where they make money is in all of the loyalty they generate for their brand with it.

Last edited:
If you want to choose a slightly different/historical path, find a place that offers instruction in something like a Cub or Citabria. I did my private in the Citabria. To me, they're more exciting and romantic but that is purely my opinion. They certainly aren't "better" trainers than a Cessna nor would I say it made me a better pilot but I enjoyed the process.

One of the few restrictions on EAB aircraft is that they cannot be used for compensation or hire, e.g., you cannot rent one out. So you wont?t see any flight schools offering an RV8, Vans or otherwise.

Hi Logan, As you can see from the pic, I've got an 8. Not an 8A--just a tail dragger. Anyway, its got a stick, throttle, and rudder pedals for the back seat. BUT---the back seat rudder pedals on any 8 are very spongy, ie, they're not good for positive, right now, control if the instructor had to save you in a "mild" crosswind. (During landing) Also, he can't see over your head at any instruments---like airspeed. You'd pretty much have to outfit the back seat with just about everything the front seat has---double the instrument money.

Max Continuous and full throttle is when the throttle hits the stop. Remember, on a normally aspirated engine, you have less and less power the higher you go.

As for your gas and/or mixture, use this:

G-Gas--Select proper tank--normally the one with the most gas (for landing) (Swap left and right tanks every 30 minutes--most RV instrumentation have a timer for this, so you don't forget

U-Undercarriage--down and "welded" on all RV's, ie, you don't have to remember to put your gear down--but run it in your head everytime anyway

M-Mixture, full forward ( At least at an airport that's below 1000 ft above sea level)

P- Prop--full increase RPM--some guys say it different, like I've seen guys here on VAF say "fine pitch"

That's it---GUMP--easy to remember. I had never heard that term before I got my 8. Now I use it faithfully.

Taking off or landing at a high altitude airport requires some finesse with the mixture. I know what "I" do, but I'll let some other guys jump in here with that one.

Long story short--learn how to fly in the 172 first.

Last edited:
One of the few restrictions on EAB aircraft is that they cannot be used for compensation or hire, e.g., you cannot rent one out. So you wont?t see any flight schools offering an RV8, Vans or otherwise.

What he said. Limited transition training is available but that's a special case.

I second ksauce, see if you can find someone who trains in something more int4eresting. That said, whatever it is you're flying an AIRPLANE. I'm surprised you find it so ununspiring to fly a 172. I'm totally spoiled now with thousands of hours in my -6 and lots of other interesting airplanes, but I'm always up for any excuse to fly whatever it is.

U-Undercarriage--down and "welded" on all RV's, ie, you don't have to remember to put your gear down--but run it in your head everytime anyway

Really great post.

As an addendum to the information above, it never hurts to check that you have brake pressure when you get to the "U" in GUMP(S). Seems a bit more productive than telling yourself that it's welded down, and moving on. The air rather than the ground seems like a better time to find out that you have no brakes.

A 172 is a wonderful plane. I?ve got a lot of hours in a lot of planes, and I still love the 172. I don?t think you can say that you are bored of a plane unless you can fly it like a master and with perfection. It?s a plane that you can do primary training, instrument, instructor, most of your commercial..even basic upset training. Try power on, cross controlled stalls in it and you?ll be surprised how quick it?ll flip onto its back! That gets very exciting, very quick! Master simulated engine outs from different places in the pattern to a spot landing.. after you can do all that, and teach someone else to do it from the right seat, if you are still bored with it, then I don?t know what to tell you.

As for auto rich with full throttle, you wouldn?t want that. In a climb, you?ll begin leaning around 5000 feet or so, at high density altitude airports, you?ll be leaning on takeoff, so no, you don?t want auto rich with full throttle. Detents for throttle position? No. Idle is all the way back to the stop, and max continuous is all the way forward to the stop. Simple.

A RV 8 isn?t a good plane to learn in. A side by side RV would be better, but you really can?t beat a Cessna for primary. A Cessna or Piper or even the tail wheel planes others above have mentioned have stout gear for handling the beatings that students give.. if a student of mine HAD to learn in the RV8, I would start them out in the back until they could takeoff, fly and land back there before they ever got into the front. (even then probably not) No way would I put a new student up front with access to the brakes, fuel valve, mag switches, starter, carb heat ect... If something were to happen while the instructor was in the back, there may not be enough time to talk them into engine restarts, activating carb heat, cycling mags... that?s an awful lot of trust to put a new student up front and the instructor sit in the back. Side by side? That?s different, the instructor can reach or at least direct and monitor from the other seat..

focus on learning

.... The problem is the 172 is about as exciting to me to fly as a school bus. I did all of my training so far on a C162 and that was mildly entertaining. .... I did one flight in a C172 and almost didn't want to be a pilot after that. ... Because I'm learning to fly for fun, it's impossible to motivate myself to step out the door to go train in a C172. I need something fun to train on...
Apologies - dad mode on.

It does not sound like you are really motivated to learn to fly, or your motivations don't seem to match the reality of flying or learning to fly. I'm not sure changing the flying platform will address that - it's an internal issue not external. Not everything in flying is "exciting" or "fun", but it's very necessary to keep you, your passengers, and the general public safe.

If you are not motivated to put in the hard work to become a good pilot, perhaps getting a VR sim would be a better match? I have one and it can be fun, exciting, challenging, and it's very safe. And it can be all of these from the first flight. And much cheaper than physical flying.

Dad mode off.

I think side by side is a better option for primary flight training. There will be times the instructor will want to point to things on the instrument panel and outside the window. And the instructor sight picture and student sight picture is similar in side by side.

Not to say that it cannot be done in tandem planes. Just not as convenient for teaching.

Attitude is very important.

Flying, if taken lightly, can quickly become more "exciting" than just about anything you've experienced before............just before it becomes the last thing you'll ever experience.

Last edited:
Training Days

+1 74-07, PPL is the first step to a long journey! You will make mistakes, everyone does. So if you mess up on a landing ie; bounce (or whatever the mistake is) your 8 on landing and end up hurting it. Training stops until you can get it repaired $$$. If you bounce the rental 172 (built like a tank) you just try again. PPL is like learning the limits of your abilities and then building on them a little at a time. Your BMW track experience should give you a reference for that. Did you ever go off track and into the gravel? If not you don?t really know what you?re limits are. You can be pulled out of the gravel and continue your track day with little consequence. Not so much in a airplane. Small steps at first... build up your skill level then get into your race car.

ACtC-3cDRGIUhEgmJarGRvViphbQKtdpv36NNrYRVAN1DPZWpb7fU5iZOIVLGRmOtHG-5CdwIgGJNsRw2n1JamVV2ubi0EDQEdcvmA5zP4QyZGwSsOsnYL2UhGV-epXW4aDIbYNRN3PDKjdyatujcAzbAW5_=w400-h400

Last edited:
Back