What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS antenna for GDU460

I'm installing a Garmin G3X touch in my RV8. I have a GTX 335 transponder and I have a GA 35 antenna which is compatible according to the installation manual. The GDU 460 also requires a GPS antenna and I was hoping to use the same antenna however the installation manual states that the GA 35 cannot be used. Whilst not an authority, I note that the Aircraft Spruce website recommends the GA 35 antenna for use with the GDU 460. Do I need to run two antennas? If so, does anybody have any recommendations as to what would work best with the GDU 460? Thanks in advance for any help.

GDU GPS Antenna

I'm installing a Garmin G3X touch in my RV8. I have a GTX 335 transponder and I have a GA 35 antenna which is compatible according to the installation manual. The GDU 460 also requires a GPS antenna and I was hoping to use the same antenna however the installation manual states that the GA 35 cannot be used. Whilst not an authority, I note that the Aircraft Spruce website recommends the GA 35 antenna for use with the GDU 460. Do I need to run two antennas? If so, does anybody have any recommendations as to what would work best with the GDU 460? Thanks in advance for any help.

Good Morning,

The GA 35 will work well for the GTX 335, but cannot be used for a GDU. There is a much less expensive option for the GDU, that does not have to be mounted on the exterior of the aircraft, the GA 26C. These are glareshield mount antennas, and will provide your GSU 25 with its own GPS position information, adding an extra layer of redundancy to the system.

Please feel free to send any questions to us directly at [email protected].

Thanks,

Justin

Into the canbud ?

Good Morning,

The GA 35 will work well for the GTX 335, but cannot be used for a GDU. There is a much less expensive option for the GDU, that does not have to be mounted on the exterior of the aircraft, the GA 26C. These are glareshield mount antennas, and will provide your GSU 25 with its own GPS position information, adding an extra layer of redundancy to the system.

Please feel free to send any questions to us directly at [email protected].

Thanks,

Justin

Hi Justin

Wonder if you could expand on this. That sounds like if my GA56 is fed into my GDU460 it backfeeds to the canbus? So I should see that on my GDU470 as well?

Thanks

GDU GPS Antenna

Hi Justin

Wonder if you could expand on this. That sounds like if my GA56 is fed into my GDU460 it backfeeds to the canbus? So I should see that on my GDU470 as well?

Thanks

That is correct, if you connect a GA 56 antenna to one of the GDU's, GPS position information is shared via CAN bus to any other GDU on the bus, as well as the GSU 25 ADAHRS. All compatible GPS antennas are listed in chapter 23 of the G3X Touch Installation Manual.

Thanks,

Justin

Back