What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Beware of trib tab and elevator cutout dimensions!

Rick RV-4

Well Known Member
So, I was just about ready to cutout the trim tab and elevator rib templates from my plans (RV-10), and it says to "check the dimensions" against those shown. Glad I did as my page was too small 15.5" across versus 16" per the plans. Not a HUGE difference but enough to make a difference.

i just ran into the same issue while completing the elevator trailing edges and trim tabs. I was concerned and scaled the images to correct size. i discovered that the when fitting the scaled up version into place they were in fact too big and would not fit in the rear spar flanges and were too long. They interfered with the 1023 trailing edge wedge piece. So, ended up doing direct paper cut outs from the templates,... low and behold they fit perfectly. i would ignore the "check scaling dimensions" note, the seemingly small cutout templates indeed are correct.

Interesting!

I was wondering as I scaled them to match the scale Vans says and they do seem tight, maybe too much so. I guess it’s not too hard to shave a bit off and I’m just about to do that step in the plans.

Just curious, was your page about 15.5 inches across versus the 16 it was supposed to be?

Edit: you had me curious so I went out and checked mine. They fit like a tight glove but there’s no wiggle room at all. I will have to make sure I don’t overdo it on the pro seal

Last edited:
I used the PDF plans, scaled to 100 and printed. For the trim tab since it was off the page (8.5x11 print capability only), I took a screenshot pasted into paint, trimmed, and printed.

Back