What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PMag case temp

Carl Froehlich

Well Known Member
A data point. This is on an RV-8, IO-360-M1B with 30 hours. Blast tube installed per the instructions. Both pMags read the same.

Carl
6-E2859-D9-E7-C2-480-A-9-E15-12569-CEDA096.jpg

high temp

I'm not sure what could be (reasonably) done to keep the peak temperature on the pmags lower than the engine crankcase temperature. The blast tubes will keep them cool when flying, but after shutdown, they are going to pick up heat from the crankcase.

I guess it's good to limit the time that they are hot, which the blast tubes will do. Might be an interesting place to put a temp probe, since I've read that the temperature readings from the EI Commander are not accurate, for some reason.

I'm not sure what could be (reasonably) done to keep the peak temperature on the pmags lower than the engine crankcase temperature. The blast tubes will keep them cool when flying, but after shutdown, they are going to pick up heat from the crankcase.

I guess it's good to limit the time that they are hot, which the blast tubes will do. Might be an interesting place to put a temp probe, since I've read that the temperature readings from the EI Commander are not accurate, for some reason.

I recall talking to someone at the factory when I purchased my Pmag who told me you can actually split the electronic from the unit and remotely locate them to a cooler area. I haven't had a problem with the temps at this point, but I have considered this, if nothing else, to get more firewall space. I don't know anything about how to actually do it.

Back