What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skin riveting around center section

gpiney

Well Known Member
I am at the point in riveting the side skins on the fuselage. We are ready to shoot the rivets that join the 820 forward and 823 mid side skins this is the area around the center section. My problem is whether I should remove the false spars to get to them. There is no mention of this in the plans.

Thanks in advance,

I think

in the builders manual it says something about the bottom 2 rivets on each side of the spar being blind rivets so you could pull those already, as for the rest, I would make a note to do it later and leave the false spar in as it is nice to use when moving the aircraft around, that is if they stick out a ways.

Randy

Rivet the skins on the bench

I am at the point in riveting the side skins on the fuselage. We are ready to shoot the rivets that join the 820 forward and 823 mid side skins this is the area around the center section. My problem is whether I should remove the false spars to get to them. There is no mention of this in the plans.

Thanks in advance,

Even with the false spars removed it's a PITA to get to them.

After completing this task on my RV-8 I thought to myself "why didn?t I rivet the side skins together (around the centre section) on the bench before attaching them to the fuselage" If you do it this way you don?t need blind rivets and have much better access.

;)

Riveting on the bench.

I am very close to taking on the fuselage riveting job. It seems like the best method is to rivet the skins at the spar together on bench as mentioned in the previous post. Care must be taken to only do very specific rivets. Has anyone tried this? Is there a down side to it...I am trying to look ahead but done see any problem with it....

Back