What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VHF Antenna

Frankster13

In Section 28 of the lower fuselage it shows two mounting plate doublers for antennas in Fuselage flooring. I can only assume this is for the VHF com1 com2 antennas. They have mounting and cable connection holes. Great. The only problem is that I now need to drill out and mount my antenna with a different four bolt mounting system. They obviously made these areas for an antenna that I am not using. Can anyone tell me what antenna fits the stock two screw mounting system?

routing

Hi all,

When using these antenna locations under the control column cover, how did you route your rg400?

My stick grips have too many wires and basically fill up the small bushings on the lower front side of the ribs.

Is there another way you ran them through to get to the center tunnel?

thanks
Mark

I used the bent ones from Vans. Work perfectly well. Picked up ATIS at 70 miles, 7500 feet on a trip recently.

Turner - I wasn't asking about the antennas, but the cable The rg400 cable, how was that routed to the center tunnel?

thanks
Mark

I ran my comm RG-400 thru the center tunnel, then outboard running parallel to the fuel lines thru one of the 2 holes in the fuel line brackets. Bare cable fits perfectly, then added the BNC connectors afterwards.

What are the pros/cons of bent versus straight antenna?
Sorry for the thread drift.

In theory, you want vertical, because ATC antennas are vertically polarized. However, most of the power is radiated from that part of the antenna closest to its base, so bent antennas radiate most of their energy vertically polarized too. The main reason for bending them is ground clearance. That?s why you see bent whips on bottom, vertical whips on top, of airplanes. Impedance matching is a little trickier with the horizontal section parallel to the ground plane, but I?d consider that a second order effect.

Back