What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What tools are helpful for Wings?

RonS

I've completed my empennage and just took delivery of my wings. Are there any tools that you found particularly helpful for the wings that I may not have needed or acquired for the empennage build? What tools did you buy during wing construction?

more tools

Yes I am sure I found that I needed more tools during the wings build, three years ago. Cannot remember each item I felt that I needed and bought.

You will find that you need more tools the farther you get into the wings, keep your tool catalogues nearby and your credit card locked and loaded. Start with the Van's recommended tools.

1. Check out my post "Those pesky leading edge rib to spar rivet-conquered!". I can lend you the tooling you will see.
2. Make sure you build a jig that is square, level, and true. Will need little jack stands to level up the center, as per instructions.
3. Get a couple little rubber grommets to help with squeezing. 2 each of the 1/8" and 3/16". Use them on the shop heads when squeezing.
4. If you have not bought a pneumatic squeezer yet, now is the time. You will have to squeeze a bunch of 1/8" rivets...they will kill you if hand squeezing.
5. 2 tungsten bucking bars...the long 4" one, and the short stubby one.
6. Get one extra countersinking bit, one each of the 3/32, and 1/8". You'll have huge number holes to countersink.
7. MAJOR TIP: (frustrating this is not been revised in Vans instructions). Note this!...on the fuel tanks...there are 4 long rows of rivets on the tank's baffle, that Vans instructions say to Countersink. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT countersink these rivets. I did and these look like horse $#!%. Vans says you need to countersink to help with assembly. Absolute BS. DIMPLE THESE. Trust me!!!!
8. 12" Offset Rivet Set. For the rivets on the wink skins.

I think that's it, besides the tools you should already have from your tail kit.
If I think of anything special I will get back on here and let you know.

Back