What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Window clamps?

kbalch

Well Known Member
I've just begun to work on my finish kit and already have a (silly) question. :rolleyes:

Page 38-02 Figure 1 shows the rear window being held in place with spring clamps. Sounds like a good idea, but...where does one find spring clamps which open wide enough to fit around the roll bar?

Clamps

I've just begun to work on my finish kit and already have a (silly) question. :rolleyes:

Page 38-02 Figure 1 shows the rear window being held in place with spring clamps. Sounds like a good idea, but...where does one find spring clamps which open wide enough to fit around the roll bar?

I got mine at Harbor Freight ? metal clamps, open more than 3-1/2". less than $2 each. Quality seems good so far.:D

Joe
Longview, Texas

RV-14A under construction ? will mount landing gear next week. Engine now delivers early May.

Arion Lightning LS-1 - Flying. Taking it to Sun 'n Fun next week.

2019 dues paid.

No Loctite on screws!

I was careful not to over tighten the screws in the roll bar to prevent cracking. I thought adding a drop of Loctite on each screw would help, bad idea!
The Loctite came in contact with the rear windshield and all the hole started cracking. Unfortunately, the back window was too ugly for this otherwise attractive 14-A. I replaced the rear glass and used 100% silicone on the screws as called out in section 5 of the plans.

Section 5 does warn against Loctite. Van's should add this note in the build
section for the rear window.

Section 5 does warn against Loctite. Van's should add this note in the build section for the rear window.

Good advice. I just heard this yesterday from one of Van?s tech guys. No Loctite anywhere near plexiglass.

Section 5 does warn against Loctite. Van's should add this note in the build
section for the rear window.

If Van's spent time putting notes in the plans for all of the things that builders shouldn't do, the manual would be twice as many pages as it is now....;) The note in Section 5 should be enough warning (though sadly Section 5 seems to never get the attention it deserves :()

On a more serious note.... every effort is made to write plans that have processes that work and will produce an acceptable result by amateur builders.
It is only reasonable that if someone chooses to deviate from the plans, they should be doing their own research and then take responsibility for the off plans choices they make.

Back