What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 QB time to build

Nashman

I'm New Here
I'm just working through the Section 12 on my empennage kit and I expect the QB fuselage and wings to arrive in November.

Can anyone share their timeline between receiving the quick-build kits and needing to order the finishing kit, engine and avionics.

I'm just working through the Section 12 on my empennage kit and I expect the QB fuselage and wings to arrive in November.

Can anyone share their timeline between receiving the quick-build kits and needing to order the finishing kit, engine and avionics.

I think there are too many variables to give a pat answer on this. I'm probably toward the low end of "time to build" builders but that's mainly because I was in a situation that allowed me to work steadily and put in the hours most weeks. The QB wings took me about 2 1/2 - 3 months to fully build out but I was pretty busy with other stuff during that time - probably could have knocked it out faster otherwise. I did a modest amount of mods like wiring, conduits, etc. I didn't go with QB fuselage but from what I can tell it would problably take longer than wings. The canopy especially is task intense and many stages of work (fiberglass layups for example) require some forced waiting for bonding of adhesives, etc. What about fuel lines, brake lines/assemblies etc - will you be building using kit components or, as I did, ordering most of these from other suppliers (TS Flightlines in my case)?

Another very important factor is the current wait times for engine, interior and avionics, and how much of this you'll be "subbing out" or doing yourself - are you doing your own wiring harnesses? Are you having a panel built or doing yourself? What's your plan for interior? Companies like SteinAir are running substantial backlogs these days and I've heard of delays on engines and interiors (i.e. Classic Aero and other interior vendors). So you'll want to be talking to these vendors and getting a sense of their current status.

Good luck with your build!!

Lead times are posted on Van's website, but You can call to get more accurate times. The engine depends if you go Standard IO390 or the Thunderbolt, took me 7 months for the Thunderbolt. I didn't didn't do QB but I understand that there is some longer times. Another thing to consider is shipping. The QB requires custom shipping and will cost more, if not too far, you may consider picking up yourself.

The lead times I?ve been dealing with have been as typically mentioned. Thunderbolt engine seems to be 6 months (if it does ship next month). Classic aero interior 5 months. Aerotronics panel has so far been the star with just a few months from design final to delivered (at least estimated to be).

Back