What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tosten Control stick interference

caapt

Well Known Member
Anyone else have this problem? Full nose down stick is hitting the toggle switches on the bottom of my panel. I bought the grip and stick assembled from Vans. I'm thinking about either bending the stick more or shortening the stick.
Any Thought?

I had issue with new sticks from Vans hitting the bezel on my Dynon HDX by just 2 mm. Long story short, I carefully cut about 15 mm off top of stick and repositioned the hole for the locking screw. You may have to file the bottom of the bush to the right shape for the curve. Put something like rubber hose in between your wiring and the hacksaw to stop cutting wires. I am happy with the outcome.

I bought the grip separate and cut the stick myself. If I recall correctly, I cut 3.5" or 3.25" from the stick. The only place that it barely touches is at full nose down and left elevator where it just touches the left heater control knob. It is not an interference but a light touch.

Do a full range of motion but it seems you may need to cut a bit off.

Adjust one pushrod endbearing

I just adjusted an elevator control rod end bearing by one and a half turns, gave me adequate clearance and then I rechecked my elevator travel which was perfect.

Last edited:
I just adjusted an elevator control rod end bearing by one and a half turns, gave me adequate clearance and then I rechecked my elevator travel which was perfect.
Don,
Please remember that the 14 has both elevator stops as well as stick stops. The elevator stop and the stick stops (for both up and down) should be very close to one another, though elevator stop should hit first. Make sure that these stops are still within the tolerance/settings that they need be as adjusting the rod end bearing one way or another will affect these.

Back