What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fire Wall Blankets and Foam

[email protected]

Well Known Member
If someone could help.

I see that many builders are installing a ?? black foam on the floor of their cockpit. I was wondering if someone could tell me what type of foam it is, How fire retardant it might be and who sells it. Second I have been looking for a good firewall blanket material , an suggestions ? I am concerned about flammability and most of the blankets I have seen clearly state they are not fire proof.???

Thanks for any help.

Orndorff's [email protected]

I bought mine from George and Becki Orndorff. They are located in Texas and their e-mail address is [email protected]. They sell everything for upholstering the the RV airplanes and they sell a video that shows precisely how to do it. The material for the floor and firewall are black and of similar size but I believe they are different (it's been a while so my memory may be faulty). Carpet goes over the floor pad and the foam pieces fitted into every subdivision of the firewall has an aluminum foil facing. All of the stiffener seams in my firewall foam mosaic are taped with aluminum foil tape. The floor is easy and the firewall is also but it is much more time consuming and it can be a little messy if you are not careful. Be sure that the firewall penetrations ground connections and everything else about is completely done because you don't want to go back in there after all that work to get a nice looking job done.

Bob Axsom
RV-6A, N710BJ

Last edited:
Get it from Hi Tech Foams, lowest price

I got my seat foam and all insulation materials from Jim and Janice Fix at Hi Tech foams: http://www.seatform.com, they were lower than the mail order houses. :p

Back