What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pro-Seal/ how old is old ?

Hello, folks, I have finally come to the point where i can't put off completeing the last fuel tank anymore- But- I find the Pro-seal I stored in the refridgerator is 6 months expired. I mixed up a batch and it seems to cure okay.Does anyone have experience using Proseal that has expired, Thanks, Sam / Rv7a/fuse3/05/slo/n467sk res.

All the research I did indicated that the older proseal gets the longer it takes to setup. It does setup just the same. Keeping it cool also extends the life so you should be good to go.

I just recently mixed up the last of a can from 1999 and over a week it setup also...

I'm in the process of building the wings for my RV10. I've got friends & neighbors that have lots of proseal left over from their tank fabrication. I thought about using their leftovers, but, I also gave thought to the expiration dates. I've come to the conclusion to buy new. I hate to think I'd hve to redo one or both tanks (probably a month or more time) because I saved a couple of bucks. Besides, it's fun getting stuff in the mail.
Use the old stuff for sealing things on the firewall & gluing stuff together.
This is STRICTLY my opinion, not intended to start any arguments.

Marshall Alexander
RV10 builder-wings

akarmy said:
All the research I did indicated that the older proseal gets the longer it takes to setup. It does setup just the same. Keeping it cool also extends the life so you should be good to go.

I just recently mixed up the last of a can from 1999 and over a week it setup also...
Andy's right. I've used some stuff that was two years old to glue on my air vent and seal some stuff. It did take a few days for it to set up. I would never use old stuff to seal the fuel tanks. It gets pretty thick and difficult to move around when old.

prc can be thinned out using MEK to whatever consistency you so desire but this also speeds up the curing time, putting it in the freezer to extend its life is acceptable, I have never gone past the 6 month shelf life but I know of others who have used it WELL beyond that with no problems

thanks !

Thanks, for the timely responces, I went ahead and used the pro-seal on the drain fittng and filler/cap parts last night. I checked it today after work and the stuff is curing well. ofcourse it's also 75 deg.today.Based on that I'm going to finish the tank with it. I'll let the list know if it doesn't seal. :( sam k.

On a related topic, I noticed that Van's sells a different sealant for the firewall, FlameMaster CS1900 that is supposed to hold up to "intermittant" temps of 2000 degrees F. Is it really necessary to use that when sealing the firewall, or can I use some left over fuel tank sealant that I have (2 months expired, but in the fridge)?

Dave

on the prc website you can find out the info you may need to know about what application is best suited for your particular requirements such as the firewall, I would use a higher temp product for the safety factor.

Back