What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 07-07 step 7

iamtheari

Well Known Member
This step calls for dimpling numerous parts of the rudder, which are listed as:

R-00901-L-1 and R-00901-R-1 skins
R-00915 stiffeners
R-00902-1 spar
R-903
R-912
R-00915-1 ribs
R-00918 attach strips
R-00910 horn brace

I believe that the reference to R-00915-1 ribs should be to R-00904A-1 and R-00904B-1 bottom ribs. I can?t find any R-00915-1 parts except for the stiffeners and it seems that the bottom ribs do need to be dimpled.

But I am calling it quits for the night and hoping someone will confirm or clear up my thoughts before I put any dimples in the bottom ribs. Thanks in advance!

Hi Ari

You end up dimpling most of the rudder skins except towards the top. Go to the link in my signature see page 79 of the PDF. There's multiple comment's. also use the hyperlink at step 7 to quickly jump between pg 07-12 and 07-07.

Hope that helps.

Hi Ari

You end up dimpling most of the rudder skins except towards the top. Go to the link in my signature see page 79 of the PDF. There's multiple comment's. also use the hyperlink at step 7 to quickly jump between pg 07-12 and 07-07.

Hope that helps.
The "wiki" PDF doesn't seem to have a direct answer to this issue with the plans. It's also not clear what it means by the comment "You will end up with only 5 holes to rivet" which is right below Step 7. There isn't any obvious group of 5 holes to rivet except on the forward edge of the skins, where they are riveted on top of each other and to the tip rib and counterweight rib.

My question is on the R-00904 bottom ribs. There is a thread that is linked to on page 07-10 in the PDF, with this comment:

"Dimple R-904 pieces.... NOTE Not sure this is an issue anymore. PF." That thread from March, 2014 (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=110873) was asking about page 07-08 but it is definitely the same question I have. Unfortunately, it has no replies.

I've e-mailed Van's to ask about the apparent error in referring to the R-00915-1 Ribs instead of the R-00904 Bottom Ribs. I'll post back here if and when I get an answer.

Basically every hole in the skin that has AN426AD3-xx rivets gets dimpled except for the ones that say do not dimple. so every piece under gets gets a corresponding dimple.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
Basically every hole in the skin that has AN426AD3-xx rivets gets dimpled except for the ones that say do not dimple. so every piece under gets gets a corresponding dimple.

Hope that helps
Yes, it helps. It confirms that I'm right and the plans are wrong. :)

Van's got back to me just now and confirmed that this is a misprint. The instruction should refer to dimpling the R-00904 bottom ribs.

The plans for the most part are pretty good. In some places not so great. Overall they're at least okay in my opinion. I recommend reading far ahead before doing much work.

Here's one example:

Page 10-11 step 7: prime the F-1037B and F-1037C battery angles as desired.

Page 10-12 step 4: prime the F-1037B and F-1037C battery angles as desired.

Ok, so two coats, or is the second in case I decided against priming, then changed my mind on the next page? :)

Read slowly, think about what you're doing, and good luck.

The plans for the most part are pretty good. In some places not so great. Overall they're at least okay in my opinion. I recommend reading far ahead before doing much work.

Here's one example:

Page 10-11 step 7: prime the F-1037B and F-1037C battery angles as desired.

Page 10-12 step 4: prime the F-1037B and F-1037C battery angles as desired.

Ok, so two coats, or is the second in case I decided against priming, then changed my mind on the next page? :)

Read slowly, think about what you're doing, and good luck.

Thanks for pointing out an error that hadn't been noted previously.
With some thing as complicated and sequence sensitive as building an RV-14,
there is bound to be an error occasionally (but they are slowly getting corrected as builders point them out)
Very few have been issues that would prevent someone that is thinking about what they are doing, from getting a correct result (as in this example).

Read slowly and think is very good advice when building something of this complexity, and I think the prelim sections of the plans recommend reading through an entire section before beginning, to gain some situational awareness of what is coming.

Interesting that you posted this in Feb 2018 - I received my kit in July and have come across this misprint. Van's still hasn't fixed it but thanks to VAF I have my answer on a Sunday! I just wanted to say "Thanks" for posting your findings - it saves many of us time.

Hi all - just here to say I team and just ran into this problem (regarding "R-00915-1 Ribs" and step 7 on page 07-07) and I figured the answer would be here - good times!

Hi all - just here to say I team and just ran into this problem (regarding "R-00915-1 Ribs" and step 7 on page 07-07) and I figured the answer would be here - good times!

You?ll find that 100%* of your questions will have answers here, although at times you?ll have to post the answer to your own question after you give up on the cavalry coming and just build on.

Welcome to the taildragger club, by the way. The true RV-14 is somewhat rare so there are times when help is harder to find. But there are a few of us in the club and we are all as helpful as we can be, as you?d expect from taildragger pilots. Most of the build is the same as the nose dragger, though, and the differences are mostly easy to sort out.

* This could be as low as 67% for Canadian builders, depending on the exchange rate in effect when you post. :)

Read slowly and think is very good advice when building something of this complexity, and I think the prelim sections of the plans recommend reading through an entire section before beginning, to gain some situational awareness of what is coming.

"situational awareness" is a great way of explaining it and it will help a great deal in getting right the first time.

Back