What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 12-04 - rudder bottom fairing modification for taildragger

iamtheari

Well Known Member
I know that the total number of people who have done this step before me is small, but I'm hoping someone will be able to offer some help. On page 12-04 step 1, we mark a point 3-1/8" down from the front edge of the rudder bottom fairing and use that point to align the template to trim the fairing for clearance from the tailwheel spring. The drawing in figure 1 shows the entire rudder bottom fairing's top edge as being flush all the way around other than the rudder horn cutouts. The actual scribe line on the rudder bottom fairing has a dip through the front edge, lower than the side edges aft of the rudder horn.

The question is this: Do you mark the point 3-1/8" from the scribe line or from the plane formed by the side top edges of the fairing?

Short answer: I would wait until I got the finish kit to complete this step

The plans show the reference as the top edge of the fairing, which is what I did on mine. Of course the point is to get clearance from the tail spring. I believe I just left that as a rough opening until I got the landing gear and could verify the clearance I needed.

Theres nothing to stop you from trimming it more if you want more clearance from the fairing. The spring curves down and away from the fairing farther aft so its only that very forward part that needs attention.

FYI: Section 40B (landing gear and engine mount) does not specify a minimum clearance between the rudder bottom and the tailspring. Mine came out to about 3/16 which is pretty close. Hopefully I will never land hard enough to flex the spring that close to the mounting bracket. :eek:

I agree with the tip about waiting for the finishing kit. I did just that and would recommend it to anyone. I have the finishing kit and the tail spring is in place so I will be able to test fit the rudder with the fairing for clearance before I close out the hole in the fairing. I think I would trim back farther if it's within 3/16" but that's because my landings need every little bit of safety buffer they can get.

Mine is 5/16? from the tail spring. So I think I am safe but as always curious if I should give myself a safer margin.

Back