What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

engine hose fittings

about to install the hose fittings on the engine. can't find anywhere in plans whether to use regular pipe thread sealant or high temp thread sealant on the engine side. Makes since to use high temp sealant but though I would ask instead of assuming.

Ron, nothing on the flare side of the fittings. Flame wars are well documented on VAF for what sealant to use on the pipe thread side of the adapter fittings. PFTE sealant, like Loctite 567, or Permatex #2 or #3 works well. NO TEFLON TAPE--

Tom

Scott is correct, and I think every set of plans has this information. Always good to review, even if youve done it a thousand times.

Tom

I'm aware, of course, that my own experience fails to constitute a statistically significant sample, but despite Section 5 stating clearly that Fuel Lube (nowadays EZ Turn) shouldn't be used on NPT fittings, I've never used anything else and have had no problems, leaks, or other issues.

Is there a specific reason why I should discontinue this practice in favor of Permatex or Loctite?

Ken---every one has different results! Vans puts the recommendations in Section 5 based on experience, manufacturers recommendations, and I guess AC43.18. YMMV. But for most builders, novice or masters, use the recommended sealants.

Tom

Is the Locktite 565 superior to the Permatex #2?

Locktite is really proud of their product :) Or I'm comparing apples to oranges.

For threads, yes. It is much more of a thread lube than #2 because of the PTFE, which prevents galling. Very important when using relatively soft aluminum fittings and expecially stainless fittings.

Is the Locktite 565 superior to the Permatex #2?

Locktite is really proud of their product :) Or I'm comparing apples to oranges.

Last edited:
For threads, yes. It is much more of a thread lube than #2 because of the PTFE, which prevents galling. Very important when using relatively soft aluminum fittings and expecially stainless fittings.

Thank you. I've purchased both products and used the Loctite so far. The Permatex is still un-used but I haven't gotten to the FF kit. At the time of purchase, there were multiple Loctite 565 formulations:

Loctite 56507
Loctite 56531
Loctite 565 483629

Back