VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-21-2020, 10:29 PM

Default The BIG move

A little over a week ago we made the BIG move to the airport. I had contemplated doing this a lot of different ways and ulitmately decided to hire a flatbed tow truck as you will see in the photos.

It turned out to be a real smart move. The width of the landing gear fit perfecdtly inside the rails of the bed of the truck. Plus, the owner operator was a real professional who had just the perfect gear to snug it down very securly for the 50 minute trip.

Here is another view that my wife took as we followed the truck up I-5. It was actually quite uneventful - thankfully!

I think I previously reported a heck of a time finding a hangar to rent. I finally found a 1/2 share of a 45' x 45' hangar at KTDO. It really turned out to be a super way to go and I am very thankful to have it.

Also, one point worth noting is that I struggled with the best idea on how to attach the lines from the tow truck to pull the plane up on the deck. I ended up using swimming pool noodle foam (that I bought at the aviation section at a local walmart) and cut them lengthwise and secured them above and below where I tied a 1/2 poly line that the tow truck could attach to. This proved as an excellent method. The foam kept the attachment from sliding up or down the gear leg and kept the line low enough so that it did not interfere with the cowl. I did not have anything attach to the nose gear. It went on great with zero difficulties.

There will be many trips to bring all the rest of the pieces and parts and tools to put this puzzle back together.

I have also had quiet a bit of flight instruction in two RV6A lately so things are getting done.

Charlie
2020 Dues paid

Last edited by charosenz : 06-21-2020 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:14 AM

Good progress. I remember the days bringing my 6A and -10 from the shop to the airport. Always a bit worrying something would go wrong but both turned out ok.

Big step forward!

Thanks for the progress report.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 439.3 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi2.htm

Old 06-22-2020, 11:34 AM

Yes. Now if I just didn't have to spend a ton of time on our home getting it ready for sale I could actually work on the plane! I only mention that to explain why I have not posted much in the way of progress reports in the past few weeks. But I am hopeful that house will sell soon, and I can get the plane back together again....
2020 Dues paid

Last edited by charosenz : 06-22-2020 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:58 AM

Charlie -

Looks like you picked up a bunch of bugs in the coolant radiator on the road trip...
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 564

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 06-25-2020, 09:56 PM

Jim, I know it looks like that but it's just where some of the fins are slightly bent. The light must have been just right to reflect so it makes them stand out. No worries (or bugs) at all. I'll tweak them before the shroud goes back on.
2020 Dues paid