What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Out of phase Elt performance test

GeoffH

Out of phase Elt and Altimeter tests

Hello, I'm approaching the point of my build where I need to purchase the last of the avionics.

A question that came to me is in regards to the requirements for the 12 or 24 month Elt performance test / certification to be completed. When is the initial test required? Does the clock start when the elt is manufactured / installed / aircraft registered / first flight?

I'm hoping that a brand new elt would not need to be tested / certified before it can be used in the same fashion as the pitot / transponder test is required before entering transponder or controlled airspace.

When the 24 month altimetry calibration is performed on a Dynon efis is there actual a calibration being performed, or is the system just being tested for leakage / tolerance / encoder output?

Last edited:
Hello, I'm approaching the point of my build where I need to purchase the last of the avionics.

A question that came to me is in regards to the requirements for the 12 or 24 month Elt performance test / certification to be completed. When is the initial test required? Does the clock start when the elt is manufactured / installed / aircraft registered / first flight?

When the 24 month altimetry calibration is performed on a Dynon efis is there actual a calibration being performed, or is the system just being tested for leakage / tolerance / encoder output?

Not sure what the regs say but I just used the first flight day for my new 121.5 ELT 3 yrs ago. That way it lines up with my annual. My MDRA inspector was OK with it.

I don't think the Dynon is actually being calibrated. You must put the system in Pitot Test mode before performing the calibration test. Instructions also said to turn the display off between altitude changes so the Dynon calibration was not altered. Takes a while to do the test this way. Mine was out no more than 20 ft in a couple spots on the 2 tests so far. There is an adjustment for offset if required. I just changed to an HDX so I have to look and see if the procedure is different now.

I would suggest having something like a TEE or connector in an accessible place to connect the static test line. Both my guys had issues sealing against the Vans static rivet. Ended up connecting to a line under the panel.

The last couple inspectors I dealt with wanted avionics shop WOs & maintenance releases as proof that full re-cert process had been performed. Your inspector might want different.

Years ago I had a discussion with a TC Inspector regarding new or repaired equipment and whether first in operation date or certified tag date dictated when the re-cert process next had to be done. He stated it is based on the tagged maintenance release date, not when it was installed or first flown. He illustrated his point by telling the story of a new ASI that sat on the shelf for over 2 years before being installed in an aircraft, basically the unit was unairworthy until it was re-certified per CARs 625 app C.

In the end you will still have to print & sign the 3 MD-RA statements in your log book that state you performed & had inspected/tested those systems per the CARs 571 app B,F,&G.

Call up your assigned MD-RA inspector & see what he will accept.

Ralph is right on the numbers with his reply. Out-of-phase items are timed on the last maintenance release, not installation or any other date.

As for EFIS calibration, the manufacturers are delivering the units typically in a good state of calibration, so the pitot-static test tends to be a performance verification test. There are instances where sensors have drifted over time, or the manufacturer simply didn't get it right (hey, we're all human, right?), so the "performance verification test" will become a calibration activity if the altimeter doesn't meet performance specifications.

In the US, you must sign off the first condition inspection prior to the DAR signing your paperwork. The condition inspection requires an ELT test IAW 14 CFR ? 91.207.

Back