What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to buy from Grainger

ncarmon

Guys,

Grainger requires that you be a business to buy from them. Anyone figure out how to buy from Grainger as an individual?

Thanks.

walk in

We have a Graingers and a McMaster Carr near us, and I phone in an order using the company I work for, then pick up the order and pay with a credit card. There's never been any hassle or need for a Purchase Order.

We have a Graingers and a McMaster Carr near us, and I phone in an order using the company I work for, then pick up the order and pay with a credit card. There's never been any hassle or need for a Purchase Order.
Same experience here. Just walked into the local Grainger, told them what I needed, and then paid for it. Can't remember if I had to tell them who I worked for, but they knew it was for an individual.

I think alot of it stems from the fact they ship alot of items by private carrier, R&L, Yellow, ABF. They dont want to try to get a 53 ft trailer down a residential street. If your item is small enough you know its coming UPS order it under YOUR NAME HERE const. use home address.

Grainger

We also have a local Grainger store. You can buy anything from the store as an individual, but if they don't have it in the store they can get it there and you'll have to come back and pick it up there. I have also ordered from MSC and had it shipped directly to my house. But it was a small item. YMMV.

Josh

I walked into a local Grainger and didn't know you had to be a company. I told them I was a student at Georgia Tech and they used that and said I could say it was for Georgia Tech any time I came back.

company?

There were two reasons for this that I was given:
invoicing to individuals is harder to enforce - cash/credit card? no problem

Second reason was that some products are sold only to trained or approved personnel (some dupont stuff such as alodine) due to safe disposal requirements. I mentioned renting a paint booth at an autobody shop, and they accepted that.

When I rented the paint booth, the shop looked after rinse water disposal etc. as part of their service.

Thanks for all the tips.

I ended up registering, purchasing and paying online with "will call" for shipping. I was tempted by MCS, but what I wanted was too heavy and would have been a fortune to ship.

Walked in and picked up my order, no questions asked.

Slick and I got exactly what I wanted!

Grainger

My company used to do a LOT of business with Grainger. But they still didn't want to sell to individual employees who contacted them, and I refuse to beg anyone to take my money. I became familiar with MSC when I was in A&P school and introduced them to our company. We buy almost exclusively from MSC now. Great company.

I also use MSC often. They send out your order immediately. I have ordered as late as 3 pm and UPS is pulling in the driveway the next morning and this is with standard shipping. Grainger wake up,a sale is a sale.

Relationship with your Company

Grainger here in town has a relationship with employees of our company to be able to use them individually by just mentioning you are an employee. Of coarse I work for a major aircraft manufacture so that may have something to do with it.

Another way is to use your local FBO or A&P to buy the stuff for you. They sometimes even can get a discount.

Back